Industrial engineering students may submit petitions to the Harold and Inge Marcus Department of Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering (IME) for a number of reasons, including (but not limited to):
- to request exceptions to major degree requirements and/or general education requirements or
- to request course substitutions.
Petitions must be filed prior to a student’s graduation semester.
The petition process can be used for the following standard requests:
- use of 9-6-3 credit distribution of Genearal Arts/General Humanities/General Social Sciences requirements
- use of language credits towards Genearal Arts/General Humanities/General Social Sciences requirements
- use of extra credit to make up for a First-Year Seminar that was incorporated into a course (e.g. EDSGN 100s) or that was not needed if a student started his/her studies at a campus other than Univerisity Park
Students are encouraged to discuss possible petitions with their adviser prior to submitting a request.
How to submit a petition request
Students must use the following website to submit a petition: https://coursesub.psu.edu.
Petitions require the approval of the Undergraduate Committee within the IME department. The committee reviews petitions every two weeks during the fall and spring semesters and students will be notified via email of the outcome. However, petitions are not regularly reviewed during the summer; therefore, there may be a delay in notification of the decision.
Some petitions may also require approval of the College of Engineering; if this is the case, the requests will be forwarded to the college by the IME department.